NFL Network Crybabies

That's what you are! The whole lot of ya! I am so tired of hearing people complain about their inability to watch the NFL Network.

Personally, I've been going through a double dose of the "Blackout Blues" ever since the 2006 season. Not only did the NFL network start airing eight games a year that were virtually unwatchable by the general public (a point that all of you sports writers and radio talk show hosts have drug into the ground), but there was another football related television program that switched networks. Can you think of it? That's right, Monday Night Football, that longstanding bastion of prime time sports television got unceremoniously dumped by ABC. Who picks it up? Right again... ESPN.

Why is this a cause for concern? I realize the average reader may not know. But keep reading, and I hope to enlighten you. There are actually some of us in the United States of America who are unable to afford a simple cable package. I can hear the collective gasps: "What? People in THESE United States don't have cable? There's someone out there still using rabbit ears?" The answer is Yes, Yes, and Yes. (In fact, most of the people who do have cable probably should cut it out of their budget in order to get out of debt. But that's another story).

The old Monday Night Football all but guaranteed that I could watch a Vikings game every year. The new Monday Night Football guarantees that I will hear about the highlights from my richer friends the next day. Apparently I'm part of a smaller crowd, because I never heard a collective whine when MNF switched networks. But about the NFL network? Oh my word! Please people, it's only 8 games a year, at least it's not one game a week throughout the entire season.

For the record, I liked the switch that happened before the 2006 season. The flex scheduling has allowed for some awesome Sunday Night games. What I do not understand is why ABC felt that MNF was not making them enough money. The ratings had been dropping, I can understand that too. But, what are they airing this Monday night (12/10 @ 7pm)? "I Want a Dog for Christmas Charlie Brown." Now, Monday night's game is between the Saints and the Falcons. I fully admit that its not a great match up. But did the network really plan on getting more viewers with a Charlie Brown episode? Would you rather see Charlie Brown slip and fall while try to kick a football (again)? Or a Saints or Falcons kicker do the same? Personally I'd go for the live version, it would be much more interesting.

So go ahead, cry about your NFL network, just know that in a small house in Central Illinois, I'll be stuck following the Vikings/Bears box score on the Internet because ABC wanted to bring you Charlie Brown's Canine Christmas, or whatever the heck it is!

No comments: