Timberwolf Turnaround

Well Timberwolves, you did it! You made me pay attention to you again. I didn't want to. I just wanted to ignore you and the entire National Basketball Association for all 82 games this year. As of January 18 I was well on my way to accomplishing that goal. Your record stood at 5 wins, 33 losses. You had just been blown out by the Phoenix Suns. I wouldn't have even realized how bad you were doing had it not been for the multi-sport scoreboard on ESPN.com's homepage. At that time I actually thought: "Are the Timberwolves worse than the Miami Dolphins?" (Note: Even with only 5 wins in 38 games, the Wolves had won 13% of their games, compared to Miami winning 6% of their 07 NFL season.)

But because of that ESPN scoreboard, I saw another score five days later. You, the 2007-2008 Minnesota Timberwolves, had beaten the Phoenix Suns by ten points. That same Suns squad that beat you by 20 less than a week prior and had five times as many wins as you. What could cause a 30 point swing in five days? I dug into the game a little deeper.

And I realized that the night before you had beaten the Golden State Warriors. Heading into that game, the Warriors had also won five times as many games as you. A two game win streak? Can this be happening? Am I actually paying attention to the T-wolves again?

A near win over the Boston Celtics didn't dampen my spirits. (What's it like to play in that game? Do players get confused? How many times did Kevin Garnett and Al Jefferson start to walk to the wrong bench? The two teams have traded at least 10 players in the last three years.)

And then, my wondrous Wolves of Timber, you managed to beat the New Jersey Nets. In fact, you had your first major come back victory of the season. Way to go.

I'll stop anthropomorphizing the entire T-wolves team. But seriously, by taking 3 of their last 4 games against decent opponents, they have rekindled a flame of love for the NBA. It may not last long. In fact, another five game losing streak might snuff it out entirely. But for now, I am checking in on the Minnesota Timberwolves (and therefore the NBA). Way to go guys.

Here are some remarks on a few other basketball seasons I follow.

Calvary Bible College Warriors

This is my alma-mater. I actually played two years of college basketball for the Warriors. Allow me to spell out the skill level that Calvary plays at. You've no doubt heard of NCAA Division I basketball. These are the teams that make it to March Madness every year. If you knew that, you might realize that the NCAA also has Divisions II & III for teams with lesser skill levels. If you've ever seen a game between a DIII school and a DI school, it isn't pretty. The average level of victory is probably about 50 points. I was on a Warriors team that played a DIII school. We lost by 50. That should explain where Calvary falls on the totem pole. So far this season the Warriors have won only one (1) game. Boys, if you're reading this, keep trucking! I've been there. You're number one (1) in my book!

Bradley University Braves
When the Bradley Braves busted the bracket in the 2006 NCAA Tournament, everyone in central Illinois automatically became a fan. Athletic stores in the area instantly sold out of all their Bradley gear. They were a huge hit. Today the Braves have a record of 11-10. Unless they turn it up, they will probably be missing the big dance. One of the biggest reasons I follow the Braves is Jeremy Crouch, a native of Pekin Community High School.

University of Illinois Fighting Illini
Unfortunately for the Illini, Deron Williams moved on along time ago. Their 2-6 Big Ten record does not look good. It will also take a major turn around to get them into March Madness.

In summary, I wish to issue an apology to anyone else who roots for these teams. I can only hypothesis that because I am such a terrible fan, their team records are also terrible.

No comments: