Andy Pettitte appeals to a higher power

Caught in middle, Andy Pettitte outs Clemens and admits own HGH in 2004

Here's the interesting quote from Pettitte in the above article:
"I have to tell you all the truth. I have to live with myself. And one day I have to give an account to God and not to nobody else of what I've done in my life. And that's why I've said and shared the stuff with y'all that I've shared with y'all today that I wouldn't like to share with y'all."
So Andy Pettitte admits to lying and using Human Growth Hormonoe. He is fully involved in the steroid scandal, and his career has a small black eye because of it. But what I do appreciate about Pettitte's statement is his apparent desire to 'come clean.'

And his statement that he will give an account to God is very Biblical. Matthew 12:36 states that we will be held accountable for every word we speak (or write... a scary thought for those of us who blog). Romans 14:12 must be wear Pettitte was doing his daily Bible Reading: "Therefore, each of us will give an account of himself to God." Lastly, Hebrews 4:13 tells us that we will not only give an account to God, but that He also sees everything we do.

Obviously I do not know Andy Pettitte. He could just be regurgitating a quasi-spiritual apology. He could also have a deep conviction that at the end of his life he really will answer to God for his HGH use. Regardless of Pettitte's position, the truth is still there. The Bible clearly states multiple times that God holds people accountable for their words and actions. That is a serious thought for anybody, whether they claim to be a Christian or not (and whether they blog or not).

I think part of the reason that Roger Clemens continues to get raked over the coals concerning his alleged steroid use is this: He has never made you feel like he is 'coming clean.' He's never stated something as clear as Pettitte, either affirming or denying the allegations.

A not so spiritual closing note: Hopefully Pettitte is not held accountable for his grammar skills. His double negative: "not to nobody else" is a little confusing, and I'm not really sure what he means by it. At least he's friendly though... and I'll end with the same country bumpkin friendliness: "Ya'll come back now, ya here?"

No comments: