Sweet Sixteen Showdown

After watching another four days of basketball, (did I mention I love March?), I came up with my own Sweet Sixteen.
  1. Bracket Possibilities: 1.8 X 10 to the 19th power. My sister and her math professor figured it out. That's a one and an eight followed by nineteen zeros. It looks like this: 180,000,000,000,000,000,000. Is that 180 Quintillion? I never learned how to count that high in kindergarten.
  2. The Lopez Twins: I believe that the Lopez twins from Stanford should be considered one person for most purposes. Give them a combined 10 fouls on the court. Make them sub in and out together. Make sure they get drafted to the same NBA team. This is a tandem you don't want to separate. (Another great option form them would be to pretend there is only one of them, ala Christian Bale in The Prestige. I think they would look similar enough if they had the same haircut. Think of how much havoc that would cause.)
  3. Commercial Bingo: I had this great plan to play BINGO over the weekend, using the repetitive commercials as my guide. Unfortunately, CBS did the unthinkable and subbed in new commercials. New plan: Next year I'll record all of the commercial names on opening Thursday, thereby allowing you to play Commercial Bingo on Friday, Saturday, & Sunday, because they place the exact same commercials over those four days.
  4. Nike Sparq Training for Kids: I have a problem with the whole "My better is better than your better" commercial. Do we really need to force competitiveness on kids so young? I realize there are mixed ages in the commercials, but it is kindof sickening to hear that cocky arrogant attitude spewing from a boy in the 3rd grade.
  5. UNC +14, Hansbrough 2: This is why North Carolina is going to win it all. At halftime against Washington State, the Tar Heels were up by 14, and Hansbrough had only scored two.
  6. Empty Seats in Phoenix & Detroit: There were huge blocks of empty seats in both Phoenix and Detroit. At least those were the two places I noticed. I have nothing to say about it, just observing.
  7. Fictionalization: Do we really need to be told that the Pontiac commercial that begins with a car jumping off a ramp is fictional? How about they just put up an entire disclaimer: "Should you decide to buy this car, do not attempt to ramp over a 30 foot gap, as you will not survive. And if you do decide to do this, please do not sue us."
  8. Numero Uno: The worst part of the four number one seeds making it to the Final Four? There is no underdog. None. If you're not loyal to a certain school or conference, who do you cheer for?
  9. Gross Guitar Hero: I would be very thankful if I no longer had to see a man's body get split in half during that Guitar Hero III commercial. It's straight out of a horror movie, only playing all day.
  10. Clock Management: How many times will the refs have to confer about the time left on the clock? I feel like this has happened an extraordinary number of times this tournament.
  11. Sheraton's Negative Man Points: This much is clear: If you are a man and you are caught wiping ranch dressing off the upper lip of another man, you will be penalized -15 MPs. Seriously people! I don't want to stay in a Sheraton after that commercial.
  12. Out of Bounds Passing: Since when have you been able to pass the ball to another teammate out of bounds? I saw it once and thought it was a fluke; but now that I've seen it twice I'm just puzzled. Couldn't you pass it around the court and down the floor that way? Why even bother inbounding? It just takes time off the clock.
  13. Repick Your Bracket: It would be awesome if Yahoo, ESPN, or some other online bracket game allowed you to repick your bracket after each round. The level of competition would definitely go up, as would my chances of winning. (Those chances are now in the toilet after Memphis beat Texas.)
  14. Ashton Kutcher's Purse: Did Ashton Kutcher have a purse in that camera commercial? If not, what was it? I don't even remember what kind of camera was being advertised, just that some guy was on screen with a very feminine looking accessory. (If it really is a purse, Ashton just scored -7 MPs).
  15. Watch the Second: Here's a great idea if you want to spend more time with your family. Just tune in for the second half of these college basketball games. Other than a few great dunks and some three point swishes, you don't miss much. What's that? You don't want to spend time with your family? Hmm... this is a different problem entirely.
  16. Davidson's Terrible Last Possession: With 16 seconds left, Davidson didn't do anything. Curry just dribbled in the same place for the first 10 seconds. I was extremely disappointed, especially after watching the second half of that great game.
After I recorded these Sweet Sixteen thoughts, I realized something: Most of them are not so sweet. So I decided to bracket them off in order to get down to a Final Four of sweetness. I'll save you the actual bracket, but here they are: Bracket Possibilities, Numero Uno, Sheraton's Negative Man Points, & Repick Your Bracket.

Why stop there? I would have 'Repick Your Bracket' beat 'Bracket Possibilities' in the final showdown.

Until next week...

No comments: